What Is the Labor Law Helpline?
CalChamber's Helpline service is a member benefit for the exclusive use of our Preferred and Executive members. Through our HR Advisers, this service provides CalChamber members with a better understanding of employment-related laws, regulations, court cases and administrative procedures.
In addition to speaking with members directly, our Advisers can sometimes direct callers to relevant resources including opinion letters, government forms and information contained on HRCalifornia.
The Helpline service does not extend to third parties. CalChamber members may not utilize the Helpline to answer questions on behalf of clients or customers.
The Helpline service is intended to serve as a conversational forum. HR Advisers do not provide written responses to questions or review any documents.
The Helpline is not a legal service, and HR Advisers do not provide legal representation or legal advice to members. The HR Advisers will recommend that you consult with your own legal counsel when appropriate.
The service may only be used to discuss issues related to a member's own employees or business.
How Do I Contact the Helpline?
You may contact the Helpline through one of the following three ways, listed in order of efficiency:
- E-mail - Members should log in on HRCalifornia and send a question directly to the Helpline. Once submitted, your question will be routed to the Adviser most appropriate to your situation, and that Adviser will call you back. Please specify in the e-mail the best time to call you back.
- Live Chat - Use the Live Chat function on HRCalifornia. Please note that the representatives who respond to your Live Chat request are not HR Advisers. The representative will forward your question to the Helpline, and your question will be routed to the Adviser most appropriate to your situation. That Adviser will call you back.
- Phone - Members may also call the Helpline's 1-800 phone number. When you call, you will leave your question with our message center. One of the administrative staff will forward your question to the Adviser most appropriate to your situation, and that Adviser will call you back.
An e-mail to the Helpline through HRCalifornia usually results in the quickest response.
Who Will Be Answering My Question?
Our HR Advisers are a team of highly-qualified and experienced professionals supporting California employers on labor, employment and human resource issues. Learn more about our HR Advisers.
What Are the Normal Business Hours of the Helpline?
HR Advisers are available to answer members' questions most business days, Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Helpline will be closed for the following holidays in 2015:
- Thursday, January 1st, 2015
- Monday, January 19th, 2015
- Monday, February 16th, 2015
- Monday, May 25th, 2015
- Friday, July 3rd, 2015
- Monday, September 7th, 2015
- Thursday/Friday, November 26th & 27th, 2015
- Friday, December 25th, 2015
Is There a Limit on the Number of Times I Can Use the Helpline Service?
There is no limit on the number of times you may use the Helpline, nor on the length of time an Adviser spends with you.
How Long Will I Wait to Get a Response From an Adviser?
Members usually receive a return call from an Adviser within one hour.
Why Don't the Advisers Answer the Phone Directly?
Because questions can involve complicated situations, it's best if an Adviser can take the necessary time to research the particular issue before returning a member's call. Advisers can more quickly answer a member's question if the member leaves pertinent details with Helpline administrative staff or outlines the details in an e-mail query.
The questions are answered in the order received unless the member has indicated a specific time for a call-back.